TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
"Larry Morse" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 10:29:55 -0800
Paul,

It's been a couple of years ago but the following SMT glue printing process
worked very well.
The stencil was .010" thick stainless steel using oblong (oval with
straight sides) apertures at the mid point of the passive components.  The
aperture was such that the ends of the glue deposit extended .010" or so
past the sides of the components, after placement.  The width of the
aperture was 1/3 (if memory serves, it may have been less) the distance
between the inner edges of the pads.  Since the printer used didn't use
vision, registration was accomplished by printing a "perfect" board, curing
it, then using the cured deposits as a visual indicator of proper
registration- since it's pretty tough to see through the stainless steel.
I realize transparent stencils are available now but good ol' stainless is
a whole lot cheaper and it worked well.

Larry Morse
Celwave RF