TECHNET Archives

July 1997

Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 09:31:45 -0400 (EDT)

Gents,

sorry, my first try ended a little bit messy - here I am again:

There has been a bunch of mails with respect to solder compatibility but to
be
honest I`m more confused than before. The initial question about mixing 63/37
tin-lead solder plating with 96.5/3.5 silver-tin wave solder process with
respect to intermetallics produced some replies - but:

1. How do I manage to get rid of nearly all of the lead by a wave soldering
pro-
    cess ? Anybody who can tell how much of the 63/37 solder is washed away ?
    While handsoldering I experienced that pretinning a 63/37 tin-lead solder
plating
    with Sn96 - even if done more than once - will not result in a plain Sn96
finish.
    You will still find amounts of lead in the range of 0.6 - 5%.

2. What is the final solder composition if lead is still a part of it and
what about the
    physical/mechanical properties ? Doesn`t 1% (or less) will decrease the
melting
    point? Couldn`t be silver washed away ? And what about the mechanical
proper-
ties of