TECHNET Archives

June 1997

From:
Steve Mikell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 1997 13:23:13 -0500 (CDT)
At 07:29 AM 5/31/97 +0000, you wrote:
>When a customer / drawing  requires threadlock "loctite" on hardware
>at the pcb level, what step in the manufacturing processes does it
>get applied ?

I preferred that all hardware be installed loose during the soldering
process when vapor degreasing was king.  This keeps the thermal expansion
from causing crazing.  Today, with the high pressure washers used for
cleaning, I have fewer answers.  Perhaps best, is to use nuts with nylon
inserts.  These can be run down for soldering and torqued later.

snip

>Do you have a problem with small hardware becoming loose during the
>assembly processes?
Yes, and we check the catch screens in the washer regularly.

>What material "threadlock" do you use in your facility?
Most of them, and the same problems exist.

>Where is it installed ?
The preferred time is when the CCA is being conformally coated.

>Do you re-apply after wavesolder / clean?
Reapply if CCA is stripped of conformal coating.

>If you re-apply, do you completely clean off old material ?
We remove any gross residues, but the stripping is usually complete enough.

>Thanks for any feedback in advance;
>
>Wesley Samples

Steve Mikell