TECHNET Archives

June 1997

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 10:27:29 -0500
11:13 1997
Subject:
>From willli Fri Jun 13 10:
19:19 1997
From:
[log in to unmask] (Jerry Cupples)
You said:

>Hello technetters, enquiring on information on the three types
>of PC cards that are currently available. design specs etc.
>Cheer Gareth D2D

I'll guess you refer to ISA, EISA, and PCI (we'll leave out MCA for this).

ISA Industry Standard Architecture
EISA Extended Industry Standard Architecture
PCI Local Bus

-The ISA is a 16 bit bus using gold finger connectors.

-EISA is physically similar, but has 16/32 bit capability. Finger contacts
are interleaved compared to ISA.

-PCI is either 32 or 64 bit, and has gold finger connectors as well.

MCA is the proprietary Micro Channel Architecture, which is found on
certain IBM hardware. they use a pin and socket connector.

All of the above can differ greatly in size (half or full length versions,
height, etc.) They normally use similar metal faceplates, and will have
standardized pinouts to a great degree.

There are books out on ISA/EISA, the standards of these date back to about
1990. The spec is published by:

BCPR services
6911 Windy Pines Dr.
Spring, TX 77379-5001
USA

Global Engineering Documents
Englewood, Colorado USA
(800)854-7179,

See also:

http://www.paranoia.com/~filipg/HTML/FAQ/BODY/F_Books_PC_design.html
http://non.com/news.answers/homebuilt-comp-FAQ.html

For info on PCI, you may contact:

PCI Special Interest Group
2575 NE Kathryn St #17
Hillsboro, OR 97124
FAX: 503-693-8344

The current spec is at version 2.1.1, I believe. See:

http://www.pcisig.com/

PCI is largely an Intel intiative, but PCI is in widespread use for
Workstations and PC's of many types. It is definitely the wave of the
future.

regards,

Jerry Cupples
Interphase Corporation