TECHNET Archives

May 1997

From:
RICK TAORMINO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 09 May 1997 06:40:15 -0400
Our CAM software calculates copper area on the top and bottom surfaces, as
well as in the holes according to the material thickness.  This works well.

Calculating the area on film however is another story.  We used to have a
kahn machine which would not (and could not) give consistent readings.  We
resorted to "eyeballing" the total square inches, which was not reliable either.

I'm wondering how the rest of the industry calculates the copper area on
film.  Does anybody even deal with film anymore, or do they get it scanned
into gerber files?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Rick