TECHNET Archives

May 1997

From:
Royce Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 08 May 1997 21:56:18 -0700
>Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 23:39:38 -0700
>To: John Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Royce Jones <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Immersion Ni/Au
>
>        John, I will attempt to answer your question from a chemical
suppliers view point.  The most difficult part of an EN/ immersion gold line
is the necessity of "tight" control of the Electroless nickel bath. This is
where most of the problems originate.  If your company is willing to invest
in good equipment as per vendor recommendations and you will make the
laboratory and engineering staff available during the initial installation
and training period you will be able to produce a very consistent, high
quality product with low rework and scrap rates.

>        In my experience this is one of the most synergistic chemical
systems currently in operation. In other words it is not acceptable for a
company to simply take a series of products from their catalog such as a
cleaner, microetch, catalyst, EN, and gold put them all in tanks next to
each other with a few rinses and have a well balanced process. Each
component has to be carefully chosen or designed specifically for EN/
immersion gold. I believe that our system meets this criteria and is very
robust. There are currently millions of circuits in use  with this chemistry
on them. There are several others vendors which also offer good processes.
Beware there are some products which are almost impossible keep running from
day to day.

>        The LPI issue is somewhat fuzzy. Most products being used today are
capable of surviving the rather trecherous conditions found in an EN/
immersion gold line IF they are applied properly and cured properly. Some
LPI's are just inherently better than others. For example we have developed
a mask which is able to hold up after twice the normal immersion times in
both the hot EN and hot gold, however, it is not a sure thing. Under certain
condition we have seen failures. The other alternative is to plate full body
panels then apply the LPI.