TECHNET Archives

May 1997

Date:
Thu, 8 May 97 11:13:24 PDT
David,
	I found an article that should help you get started.  "Practical
Thermal Management Issues in the Design of Power Supply Components," Power
Conversion and Intelligent Motion (PCIM), March 1997, p. 45-57.  It addresses
what I think you're looking for by looking at thermal resistance in the x and
y direction of PCB and the influence of copper thickness and convective heat
transfer.  I found their web site but was unable to find this particular
article.  Just let me know if you need a faxed copy.

Glenn Pelkey
Quality/Reliability Engineer
Maxtek Components Corp.
(503) 627-2084

"David Taylor" <[log in to unmask]> Wrote:

| David,
|
| Currently I am designing a new product which will use surface mount
components. Some of the linear voltage regulators used in this product must
supply a high current, and due to the large voltage
| drop across them, it is necessary to heat sink them
|
| We will be using the conductive surface of the PCB to provide this
heatsinking ability. By using the specified junction-case thermal resistance
of the voltage regulator and the specified case-ambient thermal resistance of
the PCB copper area, we will be sure our design is robust.

| Specifically, what I need to know is how to calculate the thermal resistance
of a certain PCB copper area, which I expect will be dependant on the copper
surface area, copper thickness, shape, whether there is solder resist placed
over the copper surface (where the surface doesn't touch the metal of the
voltage regulator), etc.