TECHNET Archives

May 1997

From:
[log in to unmask] (Doug McKean)
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 08 May 1997 09:02:56 -0400
Vitor José Parreira Chatinho wrote:

> Could someone help me finding suitable reliability test methods or standards for reliability characterization of electronic/system assemblies ?
>
> I've heard of Mil-hdbk-217, but this is used for reliability prediction (from design) and not for reliability evaluation of the assembly.
>
> Thank you in advance for anyone willing to answer.

Hello Vitor,

Yes, you might want to try

     Bellcore TR-332, Issue 5, December 1995.

It is used to determine the overall FITs/MTBF
rating of an assembly.

Try -

     Bellcore
     Customer Service
     60 New England Avenue
     DSC 1B-252
     Piscataway, NJ 08854-4196
     Tel: 1-800-521-2673

Or their website

     http://www.bellcore.com/

As to FITs.
A FIT = 1 is 1 failure in 1 billion hours.
Obviously a higher FIT number means a less reliable part.

MTBF and FITs are related by  MTBF = [1/FIT]*10^9

Bellcore 322 gives a standard set of FITs for all sorts of
components. The semiconductor stuff you'll have to try to
dig out of the mfrs by way of gate count or the FIT itself.

If you're using accelerated temp testing to confirm this,
don't pick a particular activation energy for a semiconductor
to use in the Arrenhius relation. You'll have to come up with
that emprically.

Regards, Doug