TECHNET Archives

May 1997

From:
"William Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 97 20:23:56 UT

----------
Sent: 	Thursday, May 01, 1997 10:39 AM
To: 	[log in to unmask]
Cc: 	[log in to unmask]
Subject: 	RE: Drill Wander

There are many factors that contribute to drill wander, including (1) runout
of the drill spindle as measured on a measuring pin inserted in the chuck, (2)
the geometry of the drill bit [eg. point, web design, thickness, etc.], (3)
entry material, (4) the composition of the material[s] that you are drilling
through, (5) the speeds and feeds that you are drilling at, (6) problems with
the drilling machine such as an unstable positioning table or problems with
the controller, (6) a dirty collet, (7) a spindle that is not properly
alligned, and others. See IPC Publication IPC-DR-572 ["DRILLING GUIDELINES FOR
PRINTED BOARDS"]. For more information and help, I suggest you telephone Mr.
Kosmowski or Mr. Sullivan at Dynamotion, a leading manufacturer of drilling
machines for the printed circuit board industry, at (714) 541-4818. Let me
know if I can be of further assistance.