TECHNET Archives

May 1997

From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 97 05:58:02 cst
     Hi Scott -

     I would be careful in applying the Fuming Nitric Acid porosity test on
     Immersion Au/Ni surface finishes. This test was developed for use on
     electrolytic Au/Ni finishes - my experience with the test method is
     that is somewhat subjective and not enthusiastically accepted within
     the user community (in other words, if a better test was available
     many of us would use it instead of the FNA test). I would suggest
     talking with your Immersion Au/Ni finish supplier about the
     applicability of the test. You could also talk with some of the
     connector suppliers (e.g. AMP) to get some feedback on their
     experiences of the FNA test before investing a bunch of time and
     effort with the test method. Good Luck.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins