TECHNET Archives

May 1997

From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 97 06:38:05 cst
     Hi Werner!

     I agree with your assessment/description of the solderability
     degradation for a thin solder finish but I think that you are giving
     the Pb oxide too much credit as a contributing underlying mechanism.
     Published data within the last 2 years has shown that Pb oxide is
     present in only small volume/area in comparison to Sn oxide or CuxSnx
     intermetallic oxide. The Sn and/or CuxSnx oxides dominate the
     wettability causing the solderability problems with the increased
     liquidus temperature issues of the Pb rich layer being a bigger
     contributor than any Pb oxide issues. HASL finishes are definitely
     headaches if good process controls are not followed and maintained.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins