TECHNET Archives

May 1997

Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 15:44:39 -0500
     Ed,

     I think scoring is great, especially where array profiles are
     required.  Your design must sometimes include tooling holes in certain
     locations to accomodate some scoring machines or the panel at the Fab
     house will provide them.  What I focus on most is the residual
     material following scoring.  I use scoring on both our wired and
     wireless products.  Although a great IDEA, our PCMCIAs (wireless) can
     not be scored due to the type of Can it is inserted into.  Scoring
     still does not cut the board profile (Z-axis) straight without cutting
     into the meat of the PCB.  The residual amount is also critical from
     the Assembly point.  If there is not enough material remaining and
     your board spans a great distance in all directions, it may cause
     problems in component seating.

     I've recently seen Floating Head Score Machines, that unlike existing
     score machines will not score all the way to the panel edge, which
     allows for more Z-axis rigidity in the panel.

     Your residual will vary going from .062 to a .093 or .0785, with such
     variables as laminate, copper weight, copper planes, etc.  You will
     have to look at your overall material recipe in addition to the type
     of components that are be placed to where they are being place to
     determine the amount residual.  The angle you have chosen is typical
     with most scores and can be kept.

     One other important note is how will the panel be depanelized.  The
     method in which you depanelize your boards from the array is critical
     to the functionality of the final assembly.  Gull wing packages,
     components close to the edge, mis-oriented components (DFM), etc can
     cause problems when hand depanelizing.  You may have to use a PIZZA
     cutter to effectively depanelize the boards from the array and even
     that gets tricky.

     Which now leads us back to routing.  Routing is like one stop
     shopping, its quick and very cost effective.  99.9% of all PCBs have
     to visit the Route Dept. at some time in the process.  You can stack 2
     to 4 panels while routing.  One less set-up then scoring, etc, etc.

     Its brief but I hope it helps.

     John Gulley -  Process Quality Engineer
     Inet Inc.
     972-578-3928