TECHNET Archives

May 1997

From:
Tom Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 27 May 1997 17:11:44 -0700
Technetters
We are a small captive assembly house that does small runs (10-20
boards) of thru hole PWAs for our display assemblies. We currently do
100% visual inspection for both mechanical placement (prior to wave
solder) and after soldering. All this inspection is logged per
MIL-I-45208. However nothing is ever done with the historical data to
either address trend failures or reduce inspection.
What standards can we use to justify moving to sample or skip lot or
(perish the lot) elimination of inspection. 100 boards w/o a defect?, 5
lots w/o a defect? With our customer base I may have to float this past
a DCASMA inspector so industry standards would be helpful. Thanks.
Tom Moore