TECHNET Archives

May 1997

Date:
Tue, 27 May 1997 17:29:50 +0100
Hi Werner,

I once read about a study in which the shelf life of 1 year was
simulated by a baking process. Then the grow of the intermetalic layer
Cu/PbSn was measured. The outcome of this investigation was that the
intermetalic layer increased by 0.8 microns. So to have a good
solderability after storage 1 year
(normal conditions) you only need a minimum of 1 micron of PBSn.
So I don't think that having less than 5 microns will give problems as
long as it is not below 1 micron.

Kind regards
Frank Petit