TECHNET Archives

May 1997

From:
Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 1997 10:01:36 -0500 (CDT)
Marie-Josie:

IPC-SM-786A indicates that, unless otherwise specified by the component
manufacturer, bake the units shipped in high temperature shipping media
for 24 hours at 125C. Units packed in shipping media which will not
withstand these temperatures may be placed in an oven at 40C (+5/-0C) for
192 hours at <5% relative humidity. (It is critical that oven humidity be
controlled at this low temperature.)

The time required to desorb moisture down to the target level can vary
from one week to a month depending on the starting moisture level and
package thickness.

Please keep in mind that the growth of oxides and lead finish
intermetaalics are the main causes of lead finish
degradation, which leads to poor solderbaility. These are thermally-activate
processes. Therefore, limiting the time at 125C is curcial to maintaining
good solderability. Also, take care to ensure that outgassing of the
shipping and carrier media (e.g., trays) does not impact solderability.
Verify use temperatures of carrier materials with the componen supplier
before using the carriers in high temp applications.

I believe Jedec specs call for similar treatment.

Mike Buetow
IPC Staff
2215 Sanders Road
Northbrook, IL 60062
P: 847-509-9700, ext. 335
F: 847-509-9798

On Thu, 22 May 1997, Marie-Jose Lambert wrote:

> Hello,
>            I would like to know if anyone has a baking procedure for
components that have absorbed moisture (QFPs).  We are thinking of baking
them in an oven under vacuum or nitrogen but we are not sure for how
long and at which temperature we would get the best results.