TECHNET Archives

May 1997

Date:
Mon, 19 May 97 11:31:13 -0700
GEN- (85 lines)
     Hello,

     The polyimide material is somewhat hygroscopic and brittle.
     Consequently, you will need to bake it if you are going to thermally
     process it after a storage period. Failure to do so will result in
     delamination. The questions, as you mentioned, are when baking is
     necessary and what baking conditions to use.

     I have not tested polyimide personally, but I have considerable
     experience testing cyanate ester, which exhibits similar behavior
     regarding moisture retention to polyimide. I found that after 60 days
     of storage in a typical air conditioned environment, it is best to
     pre-bake the pcb's prior to thermal processing. The "typical" storage
     environment is 40-50% RH and 22-25 deg C.

     Your environment is a bit more severe, so I would suggest baking after
     30 to 45 days. Certainly, any boards coming in from the field for
     repair or rework should be baked.

     A typical bake profile is 110 deg C for 8 hrs. The boards can be
     stacked flat in the oven, but no more than 5 or 6 high. It is
     preferable to have the boards vertically oriented and separated in a
     convection oven for the best efficiency. The bake time can be
     shortened somewhat by using a higher temperature, e.g.., you may be
     able to bake for 4 hrs at 130C. I'm not sure if vacuum will help
     because the limiting factor is diffusion of the water out of the
     board, which is strongly influenced by temperature (T^3/2).

     The high Tg materials like polyimide and cyanate ester are not as
     forgiving to moisture as FR-4. While FR-4 absorbs moisture almost as
     readily as the high Tg materials, it gets soft during thermal
     processing allowing the vaporized moisture to escape. The brittle,
     high-Tg materials do not easily allow moisture to escape resulting in
     delamination or stress fracturing.

     Regards,

     Denis Mori
     Hewlett-Packard