TECHNET Archives

May 1997

Date:
Mon, 19 May 97 09:43:15 PST
     Gerry,

     We have used the graphs and current carrying information in Harper's
     "Handbook of Wiring, Cabling, and Interconnecting for Electronics",
     Chapter 8, "Rigid Printed Wiring and Connector Systems", published by
     McGraw-Hill, as a basis for our design rules in this respect.

     A point to watch if you are in a high current rating situation is to
     ensure that your VIAS are appropriately rated, and have not only
     enough copper in the hole (circumference/plating thickness), but also
     have sufficient copper VIA CONTACT cross-sectional area around the via
     circumference, within the plane/tracking. You may need to use multiple
     vias to achieve this.

     Also, if your current rating is not continuous, you may be able to
     down-rate. Within the plane areas, it will be the current carrying
     paths that really matter - between obstacles, unconnected vias etc.

     I always start with 1oz Cu and only go to 2oz if there is a (for
     instance, current carrying) need. We have only used 4oz Cu for thermal
     planes/thermal conductivity purposes, within a high cold wall
     temperature environment (80degC), which from what you have implied,
     may be similar to yours.

     Hope this helps,

     Clive ffitch
     MBUK