TECHNET Archives

May 1997

Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 10:41:38 -0700
>On 0.062 inch thick boards, we currently call for a 30 degree score,
>0.020 inch deep on opposing sides of the board.
>We are trying to develop our standard for scoring.  Is this what most use
>for scoring?
>Do you score boards thicker than 0.062 and if so what dimensioning do
>you use for those?
>If given the choice would you select scoring over routing? why?
>
>Thought this might be of general interest to the board community.

We actually have two specs for v-scoring boards based on the material type.
The two materials we use are FR-4 and CEM-1.  Our thichkness left after
scoring are based on a percentage, not a hard number as panel thickness
varies from lot to lot.

Due to ergonomic issues we may change to an auto depanellizing maching that
can finish partial routs to save us from worker litigation regarding carpal
tunnel syndrome and other repetitive stress related injuries.

Breaking a v-scored FR-4 panel doesn't seem like much, until you try doing
it for 8 to 12 hours a day, five days a week.

Mark Ross
Product Design Engineer
Whistler Auto-Mation