TECHNET Archives

May 1997

Date:
Fri, 16 May 97 17:48:17 PST
     This is a generic problem with all CAM packages. We continually fight
     this ourselves, day in and day out. I have been working with Valor to
     fix this and CiruiTest Fixpert. We used to use Orbotech and IGI for
     this, but with the same results. Every fabricator that I have visited,
     or talked with, also has a similar problem. But, we all say we perform
     "100% netlist test".

     I'd love to compare notes with you sometime on this. I think we need
     to address this as an industry. I have been working with the CAD
     software suppliers to raise their awareness of what a test point is.
     It turns out, they don't really have a clue.

     The current IPC-356 does not properly define all conditions of test
     points. There is a new revision that is currently out for member
     approval which corrects known deficiencies.

     I am not aware of any software package in the world, or other worlds,
     that can prepare a proper netlist for test. I am also not aware of any
     OEM's who use a CAD package, this includes Mentor and Cadence, that
     can consistently create a perfect netlist for test.

     If we want to get to basics, this industry doesn't have a common
     definition of what a test point is. We also need a common definition
     of what "100% netlist test" means. I have a quiz that I have given to
     30+ knowledgable test people (including customers) which shows a
     sample PCB. I ask them how many test points to they see? No one has
     given the same answer, let alone what I think is the correct answer.

     Reply back by e-mail, or give me a call.

     What do the rest of you think?

     Dana Korf
     Dir. Engineering Services
     Hadco, Santa Clara (formerly Zycon)