TECHNET Archives

May 1997

From:
"Sid Tryzbiak" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 18:02:29 -0400

We have an Orbotech Xpert 1700 CAM station from which we are generating
IPC-D-356 (netlist) and NTD (net trace data) files. We then take this data
and use the Everrett Charles ValueGrid software to generate the drill files
required to build the 9090 test fixtures.  We've found that there is an
incompatibility between these two software packages. The end result is a
test fixture with missing test points due to confusion between midpoints
and endpoints of the two software packages.

This problem happens frequently when there are via holes in, or partially
in, a surface mount pad.  The Orbotech software sees the center of the SMT
pad as a midpoint and the via hole in the SMT pad as an endpoint, the
opposite of what I would expect. The ValueGrid software drops the midpoint
and thus the SMT pad and also drops the via hole in the SMT pad because it
assumes that the via is a midpoint. Again the end result is a missing
endpoint.

Does anyone have this same problem?

Does anyone know of software that can generate the drill files necessary to
build Everrett Charles 9090 test fixtures from raw gerber data without the
problems listed above?

If so, please contact me.

Sid Tryzbiak
VP Engineering