TECHNET Archives

May 1997

From:
Ken Bridges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 07:30:19 -0700
The most popular process that is catching on in the PCB industry over the
past 3 years, is the process that we call the "PCMI" process, named after
a preclean that has been in use by our customers in the Photo Chemical
Machining Institute for 30+ years.

With  most of our dry film resists, we have confirmed that this process is
as good or better than a process that includes a microetch.  The PCMI
process uses an alkaline cleaner (preferably with a surfactant and a
chromate remover),followed by adequate water rinses, acid
neutralization, followed by adequate water rinses (preferably DI) and
dry--no microetch.  Removal of the chromate is sometimes necessary for
consistency in alkaline etch and less so in acid etch.  If chromates are left
on the panel, they have not been shown to interfer with resist adhesion.
Therefore the elimination of the microetch is possible.  The main
consideration is that the copper surface is water break free for 30
seconds, when tested after preclean prior to resist lamination.

CAUTION!  Now you may not be removing all the chromates at layer
preclean and these will interfer with a layer oxide process.   Your oxide
line may have to be beefed up to handle the excess chromates.

I you need more infomation, contact me at 714-730-4215
Ken Bridges
Product Manager
Primary Imaging Photoresists
Morton Electronic Materials

>>> <[log in to unmask]> 05/14/97 06:17am >>>
Hello Technetters,
           Can anybody tell me it there are any other  options
(apart from micro-etch)  for pre-cleaning a board prior to
applying photoresist.

                             Regards. Frank

* If you are having a problem with the IPC TechNet forum please contact
*