TECHNET Archives

May 1997

Date:
Thu, 01 May 1997 19:57:30 -0700
Interesting point, about flexing at the entry material!

What if the drill flexes at each layer of copper (just theorizing)and
the largest "flex" would occur at the top copper layers of the panel,
would a composite entry be the most forgiving to the carbide?  Consider
a .010 diameter drill at 100k rpm. If the drill does indeed flex, then
it has a back and forth wiggle that cycles at 100k. It probably rubs
around and around the entry material hole.  Does the carbide prefer to
do the 100k wiggle against pure aluminum, a little bit of aluminum
(clad) or no aluminum at all?  I guess that carbide holds up better
without doing battle against a hunk of aluminum.  If only the melamine
guys would lower their prices we could get serious about using it.  My
experience is very low breakage with one type of melamine composite, and
also excellent exit side registration.  But alas, it is far too
expensive.