TECHNET Archives

April 1997

Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 01:14:35 -0500 (EST)

<< A while back someone asked about enhancing peel strength for built-up
multilayer (BUM) boards.  It is possible that a process being investigated at

Sandia for polyimides could be applied to BUM fabrication.

Anyone interested in discussing detailed requirements can contact me
off-line.  I would be interested in knowing which solder-mask materials
you are using for the dielectric layers and the suppliers and chemical makeup
of the materials.  Perhaps some samples could be provided to Sandia for
experiments and evaluation if there is enough interest in the industry.>>

1.  You may want to read a paper by Peter Gabriele and others at MacDermid
about an infrared spectroscopy technique to study the metal/polymer adhesion
process on Build-Up Interconnects.  The paper was just presented at IPC Expo,
and is available in the proceedings, or by contacting me.

2. I know of no supplier who is just shipping "solder mask" for the
dielectric of Build Up Interconnects.  We all work to improve the adhesion of
the metallization, take out any plating poisons, and run about twice as many
tests on the dielectric as on a solder mask.   Any shop who thinks that
simply plating over their present solder mask is just starting the journey to
making HDI boards.

Denny Fritz
MacDermid, Inc
Waterbury, CT