TECHNET Archives

April 1997

From:
[log in to unmask] (Doug McKean)
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 08 Apr 1997 10:42:09 -0400
I don't want to get into a back and forth thing here.
If you want to take this off line, fine.

You didn't "burst my bubble" Shredder. And in fact I am
not wrong. The only thing I failed to mention is that
viruses have a third alternative - MACROs. That's where
the Concept virus resides.

Viruses have to be EXECUTED. You do not and cannot execute a
a text file. It is read. The same with WAV files. They are read
and not executed.

Email bombs are as you say in your own words, executed.

As an added measure, I have checked with several MIS people
responsible for corporate security. They have no idea what
you are talking about. I would suggest talking with
professionals such as these people rather than wasting time
with some obvious newsgroup boasting/blathering.

Disinformation is the worst virus.

Shredder wrote:

> Actually, you're wrong. Ever heard of Embedding? You can embed a virus
> in text, pictures, waves, midi files etc. So I think you would be
> inclined to update your virus knowledge by visiting some hackers pages
> and checking out some of the nasty little tricks that the
> cyberwarriors are using. E-mail bombs are much the same as an embedded
> virus in that when you read it, that starts the bomb/virus' .exe, then
> (if your boot section is NOT write-protected), the virus infects the
> boot files and whatever else it is told to do.
> So, unless you have hard evidence that this is in FACT a hoax....a
> false sense of security is all you offer other Netizens.
> Sorry to burst your bubble.
>
> Shred

  The comments and opinions stated herein are mine alone,
          and do not reflect those of my employer.