TECHNET Archives

April 1997

Date:
Mon, 07 Apr 1997 08:31:55 -0700
The following info in picked from UL Standards, specifically from:
        UL DIRECTORY,
        PLASTIC RECOGNIZED COMPONENT DIRECTORY
        Polimeric Materials, Processes & Systems
        Chapter Plastics-QMFZ2 (page 5)
Comparative Tracking Index (CTI) is expressed as that voltage which
causes
tracking after 50 drops of .1 percent ammonium cloride solution have
fallen
on the material. The results of testing the nominal 3 mm thickness are
considered representative of the material's performance in any
thickness.
CTI Range - Tracking Index	Assigned PLC
(in volts)
600 and greater			0
400 through 599			1
250 through 399			2
175 through 249			3
100 through 174			4
Less than 100			5
Major suppliers of FR4 material in US give an index of 2 to their
materials.
You might receive more information by contacting directly these
suppliers.

Julian