TECHNET Archives

April 1997

From:
John Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 05 Apr 1997 10:03:46 -0800
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> This was passed along to me and I am forwarding it to "the Technet".
>  Frankly, we have enough trouble with Microsoft lousing up our hard-drives we
> sure don't need this grief:
>
> Subject: Virus Alert
>
>   >>>>      This information was published by IBM.  There is a dangerous
>   >>>>      virus propagating across the Internet through an e-mail message
>   >>>>      entitled "PENPAL GREETINGS!" DO NOT OPEN ANY MESSAGE ENTITLED
>   >>>>      "PENPAL GREETINGS!"  The message appears to be a frindly letter
>   >>>>      asking you if you are interested in a penpal, but by the time you
>   >>>>      open it to read it, it is too late.  The "trojan horse" virus
>   >>>>      will have already infected the boot sector of you hard drive,
>   >>>>      destroying all of the data present.  It is a self-propagating
>   >>>>      virus, and once the message is read, it will AUTOMATICALLY
>   >>>>      forward itself to anyone whose e-mail address is present in YOUR
>   >>>>      mailbox.
>   >>>>
>   >>>>      This virus will destroy your hard drive, and holds the potential
>   >>>>      to destroy the hard drive of anyone whose mail is in you in-box,
>   >>>>      and whose mail is in their in-box and so on.  If this virus keeps
>   >>>>      getting passed, it has the potential to do a great deal of damage
>   >>>>      to computer networks worldwide.
>   >>>>
>   >>>>      Please, delete the message entitled "PENPAL GREETINGS!" as soon
>   >>>>      as you see it.  And pass this message along to all of your
>   >>>>      friends, relatives and the other reasders fo the newsgroups and
>   >>>>      mailing lists which you are on.
>   >

I checked with McAfee about this particular virus and it is listed on
their VIRUS HOAX LIST and there is no reason for concern. There are
several of these hoaxes floating around out their. Feel free to check
the McAfee web page at http://www.mcafee.com. They have a complete
listing of these hoax viruses.