TECHNET Archives

April 1997

Date:
Fri, 04 Apr 1997 20:36:15 -0800
To me, the previous posting regarding greater number of broken bits with
HTE copper suggests that it is more difficult to drill.  Whether this is
due to higher Z forces through the HTE copper, or the fact that chip
formation in HTE copper is more difficult, I don't really know for
sure.  Possilby it is a combination of the two that leads to higher
frequency of drill breakage.
HTE copper is a material that has higher elongation therefore is a
tougher material.  The drill crush zone requires more thrust through the
copper, and the cutting edge requires a higher strain rate in order to
fracture the chips away from the copper.   A copper with lower
elongation gives up its chips more easily and is more forgiving to the
chisel edge in allowing passage through the copper foil.