TECHNET Archives

April 1997

Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 12:06:39 -0500 (EST)
Drilling HTE copper normally creates more nailheading than the lower
elongation copper but seems to have no other effect.  In the Performance
Specification IPC-RB-276 the task group elected to remove nailheading as a
defect and, of course, it also is not a defect in IPC-6012.  The MIL-P-55110E
still limits nailheading to 1.5 and is an ancient carry-over to the days when
nailheading was a prime indicator of poor drilling.  If the board is
acceptable to the requirements of  the performance specification (nailheading
excluded) why must we limit the type of foil we use because of the phony
criteria of 1.5 times the thickness.

Phil Hinton
Hinton "PWB" Engineering