TECHNET Archives

April 1997

From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 03 Apr 97 11:03:54 cst
     Hi Ken -

     Are you having a solderability problem (i.e. the component leads are
     not wetting with solder adequately) or are you having a
     soldering-ability problem (the interaction of the soldering process
     and the amount of component lead protrusion is creating poor solder
     joints)? I would recommend you investigate your component
     solderability first as one way of reducing the number of variables you
     need to check to determine the problem source. I know that several of
     the military specifications required a lead clearance range of 0.020 -
     0.060 inches but I don't know the reason for that range (it may have
     had no data basis). I have seen where flush cutting of the component
     leads resulting in nearly zero lead protrusion resulted in poor solder
     joints because of the exposed component lead basis metal. Good luck.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins