TECHNET Archives

April 1997

Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 12:00:57 +0000
To All:

This week someone asked about bottom side components and
thru the wave soldering-Is it ok?   Well I have an opinion and some
experience with "pop corning" of components.   Essentially not
many component manufacturers will recommend an IC "thru" the
wave.  Mfgr's will ask questions like what are the temps and dwell
times and cool down period prior to aqueous cleaning.   Components
can be very vulnerable when they are put "thru" the wave.  Especially,
if they are saturated with moisture.

However, I have a related question which has to do with component
-semiconductor-storage.  Every manufacturer recommends storage
specs.  And, one only needs to view the spec to find that out.  My
question is this:  Is there an industry standard which governs the
storage of components?

My company is presently looking into techniques which will safegard
componets from moisture entrappment.  This information would be
helpful in establishing a footprint.

Thankyou