TECHNET Archives

April 1997

From:
"ALAN COCHRANE" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 03 Apr 97 08:47:42 PST
     Tamir,

     You may need to look at how the gold is applied.  If the gold is
     applied in a deep gold process whereby the gold is an etch resist.
     You may have copper suspended in the alkaline solution in the etcher
     being redeposited on the surface of the gold.  One way to verify this
     is to have the surface analyized using Auger Electron Spectroscopy and
     look for the presence of copper oxide on the surface. You can then
     have an ion etch of 50 angstroms increments and verify if the copper
     oxide (if there is any) is originating from below the surface or is
     being deposited on the surface.

     Regards,

     Alan B. Cochrane
     Director of New Technology