TECHNET Archives

April 1997

From:
"JoAnn Amerson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 11:16:02 +0000
Good morning.  I am a relatively new printed board designer who unfortunately
is unable to get a straight answer out of anyone here.  We are currently using
Cadstar For Windows 2.2.2 to design our boards.  After the layout has been
approved by everyone, we view the spool files before sending them on for
prototyping or release in Cam350 or ECAM (depending on who has the key).  We
currently import the spool files and convert them using RS-274.  We have the
option of using RS-274-X though.  Could some kind soul explain the difference
to me?  No one here can - we are all just winging it.  When I ask, I'm told
"That's the way we've always done it."  I refuse to accept that as a valid
reason.  No one here *ever* uses the IPC standards even though we do have a
copy of some of them on hand.  (Scary, ain't it?)

I'd really appreciate some straight answers from others in the industry.  My
boss keeps saying "But the boards work.".  Surely they must be  a better way
and a more intelligent answer to my questions.

Thank you

JoAnn L. Amerson
Design Librarian
Red Lion Controls, Inc.