TECHNET Archives

April 1997

Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 21:32:17 -0700
I would like to lower the drill temperature for a #80 size via drill
process.  At a 2 high stack, the drill aspect ratio is 14:1.  We drill
.015 into the backup material, which is a low density paper core with
very hard resin facing.  The entry is similar to the backup, low density
paper core, with very hard resin facing.  The laminate is Allied HiTg
material.
The drill geometry is a non-exotic design, with a sturdy web thickness.
We are drilling straight through, infeed of 114ipm, rpm of 98k.
Currently, my only option is to adjust the drill parameters. The drill
geometry, the entry and the backup, as well as the stack height will
remain the same.
Should I try to peck drill, possibly allowing the tip to cool for a
fraction of a second?
Should I increase the infeed rate to get the drill in and out of the
hole faster?
Should I decrease the rpm and stay with 1.1 chip load?
Any other ideas?
I need to propose a solution ASAP.  Your ideas would be appreciated.

Yours truly,
Chicken Man
http://www.ameraserve.com/chicken/chick.gif