TECHNET Archives

April 1997

Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 97 11:54:31 -0700
Mag. (71 lines)
     Hello,

     While I'm not familiar with the use of DTC, I have worked with mag
     hydroxide slurries & sludges a fair amount. One way to improve
     settling is the use of polymer flocculants, as suggested in another
     reply message.

     Polymers work very well; however, you must determine the correct type to
     use as well as the optimum process parameters for your application.

     Testing is required to determine the correct flocculant and dosage.
     Parameters for flocculants include charge (anionic, cationic, or neutral),
     charge density, and molecular weight. Polymer solution concentration
     (usually 0.25 to 0.50 wt. percent) can affect performance. Dosage level
     (measured in ppm) is obviously very critical to performance.

     If you are considering giving polymers a try, I recommend bringing in
     reps from a couple of chemical companies who should be more than happy
     to spend a day conducting bench-level tests for you at no charge. After
     that, the best combination can be tested on a larger scale.

     Regards,

     Denis Mori
     Hewlett-Packard