TECHNET Archives

April 1997

Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 97 10:46:36 PDT
I'd like to add a little to what John has said.  Copper foil actually has a
slightly larger CTE (16.6 ppm/C).  When you look at a raw piece of copper-clad
laminate, the copper foil is in tension and the glass-epoxy is in compression
due to the mismatch.  When you evaluate it for dimensional stability and look
at it right after etch and before any bake, you can see that the laminate has
actually grown a little.  The bake cycle is where the shrinking begins.  You
should also see that the thicker copper weight is, the greater the change is
also.

Glenn Pelkey
Quality/Reliability Engineer
Maxtek Components Corp.