TECHNET Archives

April 1997

Date:
Thu, 03 Apr 97 08:01:05 PST
     Has anyone experienced damage to component on circuit boards that have
     gone through a water cleaning system.  We have a number of fets on a
     board that have been damaged at our board supplier during assembly.
     The fets during testing have shown damage with as little as 20 volts.
     The Electrical Engineering guys in our company think the damage might
     be caused at the exit end of the water cleaning system by the air
     knife that is drying the board.  They have asked our assembly house to
     investigate the addition of an air ionizer inline with the air knife,
     to eliminate the possibility of creating a static charge during this
     process.  The cost to do this is $20K,  I could use a little help if
     its out there  to convince them this is not required.  My contention
     is the assembly house which never handled this sensetive of a
     component before has a handling problem which they have addressed and
     corrected.  but the EE guys here still want them to address the
     airknife situation on the cleaning system