TECHNET Archives

April 1997

Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 10:50:22 -0400 (EDT)
In the 50's and early 60's  the silver gold combination was the standard
requiremet for military circuit boards.  Many of us who made this hardware
saw silver migration wipe our isolation after power up for a fairly long
time.  Usually several months.
Typically we went to straight gold and put it on thicker in order to
withstand the etching.  Then we saw the tin-gold intermetallic brittleness,
 Finally, we convinced the powers that a cheaper alternate, solder plate, was
not only less costly but better.  Suggest you not go to the silver-gold
combination.  I think there were several paper published in that time, but do
no know where to find them.  Perhaps the electromigration task group, (L
Turbini) might be able to help.

Phil Hiinton
Hinton "PWB" Engineering.