TECHNET Archives

April 1997

From:
Ted Stern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 10:33:14 -0700
Dear joef:

I would assume you are monitoring the specific gravity as a quick
measure of total dissolved solids.  Because of the variablity of make-up
between different permanganate baths (sodium vs. potassium, the
concentration of sodium hydroxide, chemical vs. electrical regeneration,
etc.), I am leary of providing any acceptable TDS operating range.  Have
you asked your vendor for the TDS operating range specific to your
application?  Even when the bath is being maintained properly, including
continuous filtration, it has been our experience you will need to dump
and make-up a new bath periodically.  If your vendor does not have data,
I would begin measuring the TDS regularly, recording the result, and
establishing
a dump cycle specific to your observations.

Regarding "gouging" experienced during etchback, I would focus on the
integrity of drilling and you solvent swell cycle.

Regards,
Ted Stern
Circuit Research Corp.