TECHNET Archives

April 1997

From:
"Jeffrey C. Garland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 08:54:58 -0700
Testing to Gerber Extracted netlists proves the manufacturing process.

Testing To CAD netlists (IPC-D-356 standard) proves that layout and rout
from the CAD systems and manufacturing is correct.

One of the problems testing with CAD data is that it doesn't always match,
2 of the most problem areas that I see are;

1.  Isolated 'GND's' where on a 'GND' plane there is a isolated 'GNDA' that
is either not totally split or is tied through a signal layer.  Since 'GND'
and 'GNDA' are considered separate nets when sorting the netlist this will
generate a short at test.

2.  Test points especially on BGA devices that have single point nets
(SPN's).   Typically there are matching vias to BGA pads and the CAD system
will call the via 'N/C' and the associated BGA pad 'N/C'.  This will
generate a short because they are connected.

Another disadvantage to CAD netlist testing is no Mid point optimization
and no Trace information for Computer Aided Repair for manufactures.  This
is due to where the netlist is generated from.

If you need to verify the design off the CAD to the Gerber I would
recommend to do a CAD to Gerber Netlist Compare.  This can be accomplished
prior to releasing the PWB for manufacturing.  This is preferred.
Jeff Garland
Sales Engineer
Lavenir Technlogy, Inc.
603-431-6279