TECHNET Archives

April 1997

From:
[log in to unmask] (Jerry Cupples)
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:39:20 -0500
Dan H. Arnold said:

>we are currently building some 18" by 20" product
>with up to 4 500+ I/O TBGA's......The production
>process is ok....but we have some difficulty
>during repair....Preheat profile control is a
>critical parameter...does anyone have experience
>with TBGA repair on big boards?  What repair
>platform should I investigate?

Similar experiences here. We thought the Air-Vac DRS-22C with the big
bottom-side preheater was the best choice. Recommend that whatever you buy
should have substantial preheat capabilty from both sides over a good area
of the board.

OK industries had a modular station which preheated well, but we thought it
was a bit awkward since it was not integrated into a "unit".

The alternative might be to use a simpler rework station and start by
heating the board in an ovetn, then remove the assembly to be reworked
immediately before starting the R&R on a "lesser" rework station.

good luck,

Jerry Cupples
Interphase Corporation
Dallas, TX USA