TECHNET Archives

April 1997

Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 19:35:44 -0700
If it is resin smear and the circuit is working normally now, the risk is very
low that you will ever have a problem with it.  However, if the problem is due
to Post Separation or Inner Layer Separation, rework and thermo/mechanical
shocks can increase the resistance.  Some circuits are very sensitive to
changes in resistance and therefore, you may start getting intermittent
failures (like a "cold solder joint").

Even with the Post Separation defect the odds are in your favor that the
circuit will never fail in service.  You will have to do a risk assessment.  If
the environment is benign and the consequence of a failure is small, you may
want to leave the board in service.  On the other hand, if the environment is
harsh and/or a single failure could cause server harm, you may want to scrap
the circuit board and replace it with a good one.

No matter what your decision, you should insist that the problem be fixed.  All
interconnect problems can and do cause functional failures sooner or later.  It
is virtually impossible to screen out these defects from bad lots or to measure
their individual effect for every situation.  The only "safe" answer is to
eliminate the defect...Not an easy task I can assure, but necessary
none-the-less!

                                Regards,

                                Jim Reed, Texas Instruments, Austin, TX

Voice = 512 250-7172,
Fax =   512 250-7967,
Email = [log in to unmask]
Pager = 800-759-8888 ID 289-7077

------------------
Original text

From: Michael Barmuta <[log in to unmask]>, on 4/16/97 2:48 PM:
	Art: There is not one simple answer. Many factors come into play.
		1. Board material of construction
		2. Board thickness
		3. Degree of smear(how bad is it?)
		4. Interface connect mechanism(els.Cu,direct metal,etc.)
		5. Applied circuit power
		6. Product use environment(mechanical shock, temp variations,
		    vibration, g loads, frequency of these conditions etc.)
		7. Product reliability and liability

I don't know if this is a hypothetical question or you're sitting on a box of
expensive product and not sure what to do with it.You could try some "shake n
bake" testing based on the worst type of condition it will be used in. This
could give you an insight into the severity or degree of the problem and
possibly weedout the bad product.

 Product application is a key player in this. My advice is if in doubt don't,
 otherwise it could be really costly.

					Regards
						Michael Barmuta
						Fluke Corp.