TECHNET Archives

April 1997

From:
Michael Barmuta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 14:48:24 -0700
	Art: There is not one simple answer. Many factors come into play.
		1. Board material of construction
		2. Board thickness
		3. Degree of smear(how bad is it?)
		4. Interface connect mechanism(els.Cu,direct metal,etc.)
		5. Applied circuit power
		6. Product use environment(mechanical shock, temp variations,
		    vibration, g loads, frequency of these conditions etc.)
		7. Product reliability and liability

I don't know if this is a hypothetical question or you're sitting on a box of
expensive product and not sure what to do with it.You could try some "shake n
bake" testing based on the worst type of condition it will be used in. This
could give you an insight into the severity or degree of the problem and
possibly weedout the bad product.

 Product application is a key player in this. My advice is if in doubt don't,
 otherwise it could be really costly.

					Regards
						Michael Barmuta
						Fluke Corp.