TECHNET Archives

April 1997

From:
Richard Krug <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 16:13:53 -0500 (EST)
We have occasionally seen problems during square wire pin insertion on PCB's
which have been subjected to SMT reflow.  We use HASL PCB's.  We have measured
diameters using pin gages.  Some times there is a measurable diameter change and
some times there is not.  I suspect the solder is melting in the barrel of the
hole, but I would expect the soft solder to readily deform during the insertion
process.  Any ideas of what could be happening?

Dick Krug