TECHNET Archives

April 1997

From:
Jeff Seeger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 12:39:04 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>         Does anyone know anything about specifications or IPC standards or guidelines or anything about design for automated testing such as Gen Rad? We want to incorporate this but we don't know how.
>         PLEEEEAAAAASE HELP ME!!!

	Dan,

	Preparing for ICT involves two parts - you need the correct
	features on the assembled board (accessible test points) and
	you need to work out data transfer to the testing resource.

	The upcoming replacement for IPC-D-275 has worthy info on
	the testpoint features, but I forget its number and I sus-
	pect it's not released yet.

	The data transfer part of the problem is generally worked out
	by either your CAD system vendor or the front-end tools that
	your testing house uses.  This will require explicit knowledge
	of which tester is to be used.

	There are a host of engineering issues as well, the most vis-
	ible in design are the presence of soft-ties (pullup/pulldown)
	on all logical commits - no direct ties to planes for other
	than supply.

	Your best resource will almost certainly be the house that
	will eventually do the testing.  They will likely have some
	printed material for you.

	If I can help further, email me offline.

	Regards,
--

      Jeff Seeger                             Applied CAD Knowledge Inc
      Chief Technical Officer                      Tyngsboro, MA  01879