TECHNET Archives

April 1997

From:
"ddsulliv" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 97 11:49:51 cst

          I agree with Randy.  I have used the dichromate etchant and
          had no trouble detecting post separation and copper cracking
          when it occurred.  I have seen inexperienced operators who
          so overetched microsections with ammonium hydroxide peroxide
          microetch that the sections could not be reground to find
          the electroless copper interface to do an evaluation!

          Training of microsection personnel and constant monitoring
          is extremely important.  The problem with the etching
          variability over time with ammonium hydroxide peroxide will
          show different results depending on where in that time
          period the etching is being done.  I believe Randy's way of
          making etch when needed then discarding is the most
          reliable. I also recommend microsections be audited
          frequently in order to make insure the quality of the work
          of these inspectors.  You can't spend too much time
          monitoring this area.

          NOTE:  The shop I where I worked dropped dichromate in an
          attempt to get all chrome out of the shop.

          Regards,

          Dave Sullivan
          Rockwell Collins, Inc.