TECHNET Archives

April 1997

From:
Jeff Seeger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 12:05:56 -0400
Jack Crawford wrote:

 If I ever want to copy/paste any of that
> original text into another msg or word processor, I have to go through it
> and delete every carriage return.

> Sometimes this comes from people using "typewriter technology" and hitting
> the return key at the end of each line instead of letting the computer do
> the wrap work for them.

	An awful lot of people are still using e-mail in a non-window
	environment.  Frankly, after having cycled through several
	of the "graphical" mail tools, I really prefer the tool on
	my dear old vax.  I am, however, limping along with one of
	the "modern" tools, and am reminded each morning (somewhere
	around the 3rd or 4th message) that I must set "wrap long
	lines" since this parameter is not saved or settable in any
	configuration file that I or my sysadmin have found.

	I get pretty annoyed at the preponderance of an "it'll do it
	for you, everybody's everywhere is the same, get with the
	times"  attitude.  Personally, I can't tell *what* YOUR tool
	is going to do to my message, so I'll make it presentable on
	as many screens as I can, 80 columns is still "norbal".

	As for re-using your email in a word processor, I think
	you'll find that if you have an "export" or "save" utility
	it *should* take care of the carriage returns for you.

	Meanwhile, what on earth are the "=20"s that follow every
	line in some mail tools?

	Sorry I've run-on, but we seem to have hit one of my peeves.
	Cheers to all,
--

      Jeff Seeger                             Applied CAD Knowledge Inc
      Chief Technical Officer                      Tyngsboro, MA  01879