TECHNET Archives

April 1997

From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 09 Apr 97 07:40:06 cst
     Hi Jan-

     I would suggest taking a look at how/where the shield plated thru
     holes are connected to the internal board planes. If those plated thru
     holes are connected to several of the internal planes then you have a
     heat thieving condition impacting your ability to solder. Check with
     your design folks and see if there is any possibility of getting some
     relief or minimization the internal plane connections. You can also
     look at adding a small amount of solder paste at the shield base to
     help promote solder filleting - the solder paste will reflow during
     wave soldering due to the temperatures involved. Good Luck.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins