TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
Jeff Seeger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 07 Mar 1997 11:50:30 -0500
Jerry Cupples wrote:

	-snip-    -snip-     -snip-    -snip-
> Our Company has a practice of ordering sets of 7 mil silver Mylar film for
> each new design, to check the actual layer images and to archive. We ...
>
> Of course, said film is not used for fabrication these days, but this ...
>
> require correcting the CAD (Allegro) files, re-sending the Gerber to the
> plotting service, and waiting for the checkfilm to "sign off" the ...

> to say "B" sized checkfilm with enough resolution for close inspection, but
> not necessarily with the resolution and accuracy required for working film.
>
> The film would only need to be good enough to verify the clearances and
> dimensions, and accurate layer-layer for checking our stackups.
>
> If anyone has a suggestion as to the software and hardware one could use
> for this purpose, please post here or email. I really have no idea...

	Hi, Jerry -

	I believe in simple answers, and for this case I'd suggest using
	a B-sized postscript printer, of perhaps 400 dpi resolution, and
	print on acetate.  For any checking more accurate than this, you
	should really be using CAM-type review and/or drc tools.

	Do this from the Gerber data that you're sending to fabrication,
	rather than plotting them seperately.  Contact me offline if you
	need help accomplishing this from Allegro.

	Regards,
--

      Jeff Seeger                             Applied CAD Knowledge Inc
      Chief Technical Officer                      Tyngsboro, MA  01879