TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
Sheila Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 08:16:17 -0500 (EST)
Technetters:

I am soliciting opinions on conformal coating of PBW-mounted connectors.
Our manufacturing folks refuse to conformal coat within 1/8" of any board
mount connectors.  They contend the conformal coating will wick up the pins
and get on the contact areas, regardless of the type of conformal coating
used or the method of application.  The connectors are not sealed.  These
boards have to pass salt fog & humidity testing and I don't like the idea of
having bare areas, especially at the interface where the connector meets the
board.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Thanks in advance for
your help!

S. Smith, Tracor Aerospace Electronics Systems