TECHNET Archives

March 1997

Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 22:44:19 -0500 (EST)
Try laminating a few sheets of prepreg between release sheets (Tedlar) in
your actual production laminating press. As a control, laminate some 'good'
prepreg of the same style and number of plies. After bonding, inspect the
laminate integrity for visual defects (voids, dryness etc.) and compare to
the control. You could also measure thickness across the laminate and
establish thickness variation as a response. If the two samples are similar,
I suspect that the prepreg would be functional. I would also recommend that
your supplier could verify the rheology of the resin of the aged prepreg and
compare it to the 'normal' baseline.

Hope this helps...

Dave Rooke
Circo Craft - Pointe Claire

- -- - -- - -- - --

>     We store our prepreg in an enviroment of 10% RH and 65 degrees F
>This prepreg is mil certified FR4.  After 6 months of sitting on the
>shelf, this material is no longer certified by our supplier as mil
>spec.  This material could then be used on non mil spec work.  What
>method and  what time frame should be used to determine when the
>material should be thrown out?  (not used on anything)  In other
>words, after the six months, we know the material is not scrap, but at
>what time will it actually become defective? Any input on this
>subject would be appreciated  Thank you..

- EOF -